Thursday, October 27, 2011

Dear Mr. Bukowski...

The poem Dinosauria, We is very negative. Extremely negative. And honestly, I don’t like it very much. That doesn't mean I don’t think it’s true or that I don’t believe some things that are stated in the poem aren’t going to happen, I just believe that this type of thinking will never get us humans to any real progress. After reading the poem a couple of time, I soon started to think and believe that the “this” mentioned in the poem is fear. Fear is a very dangerous feeling. It sometimes makes us overreact to things, and sometimes jump to conclusions too fast.
I agree with some things in the poem, though. “As the supermarket bag boy holds a college degree”, for example, is a very good phrase. I agree with it. I think that people are afraid of this truth, and they don’t know how to react to it. We are dying because of fear. Fear of failing and dying. Because of this fear, “the fingers reach for the bottle; the pill.” A good example of this is the all those fake rumors of the world ending. Many people commit suicide in fear of the world ending.
I think that this poem shows how much fear can affect one’s perpesctive of the future. Fear blocks our ability to make things better. If you believe in everything in the poem, then you have no hope for a better tomorrow, so you won’t even attempt to improve things. Because, we are born into “this”, this fear that people believe in and don’t try to face.

Sincerely,
Jessica

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...I never considered substituting "this" with "fear". I just used "humanity". :P That's a good point, though.

    I disagree with your overall opinion though, sorry. I think that fear is a tool, and by making this poem so extremely negative and scary, we are scared into thinking up ways to better our situation. That's how it kinda got me thinking, anyway. But a lot of people would shrug it off or just deny it. THAT attitude is what will really hinder any chance of progress in society. Thinking only positive thoughts like "oh, thing's will get better" or "in time, we'll change" are the things that delay progress.

    Like what the father said in The Road: "When your dreams are of something that never was or of some world that never will be and you are happy again then you will have given up."

    ReplyDelete